The purpose of the Qualification is to build knowledge and skill required by employees in Short Term Insurance who have had schooling at or below NQF level 4. It is an entry Qualification into Short Term Insurance as learners will not have acquired the necessary knowledge and skills as part of the school curriculum. It is intended to empower learners to acquire knowledge, skills, attitudes and values required to operate confidently as individuals in the South African community and to respond to the challenges of the economic environment and changing world of work in the financial services industry. It should add value to the qualifying learner in terms of enrichment of the person, status and recognition.
As a Qualification that covers Short Term Insurance related learning, it provides a framework for learners to develop competencies that will give them insight into the Short Term Insurance sub-sector. It introduces a basic understanding of the key terms, rules, concepts and principles of the field that will enable learners to be informed workers in the industry. It provides a balanced learning experience that allows flexible access to life-long learning, higher education and to productive employment in Short Term Insurance. It provides an opportunity for learners to learn and apply academic skills in relation to the workplace and will allow for multi-skilling.
The FETC: Short Term Insurance allows the individual to work towards a nationally recognised Qualification. It is flexible enough to accommodate both learners in formal education and learners already employed in the Short Term Insurance sector. The focus is on basic information gathering, analysis, presentation and the ability to apply knowledge of the field to solve routine problems within given frameworks.
Qualifying learners should be knowledgeable about and competent in:
- Carrying out basic research, information gathering and analysis
- Interpreting current affairs and their influence on Short Term Insurance
- Communication and Mathematical Literacy at a level that allows them to operate effectively in the financial services industry
- Behaviour and ethics in a work environment and the implications, consequences and liability arising out of non-compliance with relevant legislation
- Managing aspects of personal finances
- Knowledge of Short Term personal and/or commercial lines products
- Customer care including internal and external customers
- Understanding the key terms, rules, concepts and principles of the Short Term sub-sector, in general and their chosen career path, in particular
- Knowledge of insurable risk and application of the law of contract in Short Term Insurance
- Managing an information system used in Short Term Insurance
The National Certificate in Short Term Insurance: NQF Level 4 was registered in June 2002 to meet the needs of learners in a variety of positions in the Short Term Insurance sub-sector which includes personal and commercial lines. It is a generic Qualification with specialisation in a selected career path in the Short Term Insurance industry. The Qualification has been reviewed and The FETC: Short Term Insurance replaces the National Certificate in Short Term Insurance: NQF Level 4.
The original Qualification has been expanded and the FETC: Short Term Insurance is a more holistic Qualification than the registered National Certificate in Short Term Insurance: NQF Level 4. It is a first step for learners who:
- Have attained the National Certificate in Financial Services: Level 3 and wish to continue on a path of life-long learning specialising in Short Term Insurance
- Have worked in the Short Term Insurance sub-sector for many years, but have no formal Qualifications in their area of specialisation
- Are in a learnership agreement in the Short Term Insurance sub-sector
- Have recently taken up a position in Short Term Insurance
- Require a Qualification for licensing purposes in order to advise clients on Short Term Insurance policies
Learners employed in Short Term Insurance at this level may be Short Term Insurance Intermediaries who advise on Short Term Insurance products, Internal Broker Consultants, Call Centre Operators, Personal Accident Administrators, Personal lines Administrators, Commercial Lines Administrators, Claims, Negotiators, Technicians or Assessors, Client Service Providers, Service Agents, Underwriting Agents, Product Developers, Motor Assessors, Assessors, Reinsurers, Underwriters, Personal Assistants, Secretaries, Service Centre Staff, IT Systems Designers and Analysts in Short Term organisations or learners who work in Marketing Departments of Short Term Insurers. They do work that requires an understanding of the Short Term sub-sector within the context of the Financial Services Industry and some specialisation in their selected career path. The work roles are in personal, commercial/business lines and specialised areas of business such as aviation, transportation (marine) and agricultural Insurance. The Qualification is intended for learners in personal lines and business/commercial lines Insurance who advise on selected Insurance products. It specifically excludes giving advice on the management of risk in commercial/business lines.
- Learners who work in the retail industry and sell Insurance as part of their work but are not in a career path in the Insurance industry should do the FETC: Retail Insurance
- Learners whose work focus is mainly on the management of risk and who give advice on commercial lines or business Insurance as a means of managing risk should do the National Certificate in Risk Management: Level 4
|Download the Course Structure and Unit Standards for this Qualification|
|Download the Prospectus for this Qualification|
Email us for more information
A comprehensive overview of this qualification can be found on the SAQA website.